Here's how I took an eyesore of an old armchair and turned it into a showpiece -my no sew method to reupholster a wingback chair makes this easy!
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
And when your Mother-in-law gives you an old, beat-up chair, you recover it.
I think that's how the saying goes. My in-laws had a chair that was on it's last leg sitting in their body shop.
When my MIL asked me if I could do something with it before they took it to the trash, I said yes, but wasn't quite sure.
I had never tried reupholstery and was a wee bit intimidated!
I'm sure this wingback was a stunner 30 years ago, standing tall in it's tuftedness wearing those brass nails with pride. But just as we all do, it succumbed to age and wear and tear.
The cushion no longer cushed, and the smell that wafted from the ripped pleather was quite unique.
Yes, I said pleather - rubbery and sticky in a few places.
But I jumped at the chance for a new project! I wanted to give this DIY a Try! I wanted to find a no sew method to reupholster a wingback chair.
So I started by doing my homework.
I referenced a few other bloggers to help me out and am including the links for you. Jessica from Four Generations One Roof has an awesome no-sew reupholstery tutorial that was a huge help for me - plus she has a video which is what made this whole thing tangible. But this chart from Jenny from Juniper Homee helped me know how much fabric and batting to purchase. I highly suggest you use their posts as references to help out your upholstery project.
No Sew Method to Reupholster
a Wingback Chair
(Some affiliate links are provided below. Full disclosure here.)
Before I began, I mentally prepared my mind for reupholstering this chair since this was my first attempt ever at upholstery.
Honestly, all those buttons intimidated me.
I knew that if I tried to mimic the tufting, this project would be a beast to tackle, so I made it easy for myself and opted to forgo the 45 tufted buttons and just recover the chair.
According to Jenny's chart, I purchased 6 1/2 yards of fabric and batting. Next, I gathered my tools and let me tell you, this was the smartest step. I purchased one of these tack and staple remover claws. Be prepared to remove hundreds of staples - HUNDREDS - and you will need the right tool for the job.
I also purchased a pneumatic staple gun to make the no-sew process easier on me. You just hook it up to an air compressor and it makes the stapling easy peasy. Plus I felt like a boss with each pop of the stapler!
I began with the back, but realized I should have started with the bottom. removing this exposes all the handiwork from the factory.
As I started disassembling the chair, I made sure to document the steps to make it helpful to reassemble. I took pictures as I went along and kept track of the pieces.
I numbered each panel as it was removed and notated it so I knew which piece was which. You will want to save the old panels and use them as templates to cut out the new fabric panels, so don't throw them away!
Another thing is to look out for are the upholstery ribs and tack strips.
So this is where taking photos saved this project. Seeing how the manufacturer placed them and mimicking their method made this project doable for me.
While removing the fabric, I noticed that the foam in the back and seat of the chair had holes where the buttons were.
To fix the holes in the foam, I came up with a neat idea. The manufacturer tied huge hunks of batting on the back side of the tufted buttons. I snipped the buttons free removing the batting.
Then I used those huge gobs of cotton to stuff the holes on the front side.
After disassembling the chair, I covered it with batting. It amazed me that it looked as if those holes were never there!
The last thing I did before referring to the tutorials was to add the cush back to the seat. We happened to have 3 inch foam on hand from sound proofing our recording studio, so I used those scraps to fix the saggy seat. I also spray painted the legs of the chair black.
Then I followed the steps in the tutorials to reassemble the chair, using my notes and photos as a reference, cutting the pieces from the saved fabric panels. The fabric I used is Waverly Celestial Sun Twill Nightfall - which is now discontinued, sadly.
I took this discarded, headed to the dump of a chair and turned it into a stunner!
I spray painted the old brass trim black and added it back to the chair.
But one disappointment were the armrests.
I tried to nail the the brass tacks back on the armrests, but they wouldn't go in straight, no matter how I tried.
After about four hours of failed attempts, and finally calling uncle to have Trent give it a try with no success, we abandoned the nail heads on the arms. It was just too frustrating, but even without the brass tacks, it still looks great!
I opted for black piping to give the chair a little pop. Plus it looks great with the black nail heads and black legs.
The other tricky problem was getting the patterned fabric to line up. But that little detail made my head hurt as if I were solving an algebraic equation.
It may not be perfect, but I'm very pleased with the end result! It's super cushy and comfy and I'm proud to know that I rescued a piece from the dump.
CLICK HERE to see the chair in it's new space!
So I hope this no sew method to reupholster a wingback chair inspires you to tackle your next project!
If you decide to DIY a chair of your own, send me a pic! I would love to see it!